There was a time when conventional wisdom held that ski or snowboard lessons were mostly for beginners or children. But today, with constantly evolving gear, not to mention constantly evolving terrain in Sun Valley (everything on Dollar, big moguls on Baldy and Adventure Trails immediately come to mind), everyone could benefit from a lesson from the pros at the Sun Valley SnowSports School. And no matter your ability level or preferences, there is an option to fit your needs.
Prefer one-on-one attention? Book a private lesson where you will have an instructor’s undivided focus. Are you motivated by being in a group? A clinic will place you with like-minded and like-ability athletes, allowing you to learn not only from your teacher, but from all the tips being given to your peers. And lessons for children are always a great idea. They love spending time with other kids and will enjoy instruction especially tailored to them. Did I mention the Adventure Trails?
With the busy Presidents’ Week holiday upon us, now is the time to set up lessons. Still not convinced? Here are the top ten reasons to connect with the SnowSports School according to Supervisor Nick Maricich and his team:
- Obviously, to improve your technique. Even slight adjustments can make you a better skier or boarder, making your experience on the mountain much more satisfying.
- SnowSports instructors are great guides to our mountains. If you have not visited Sun Valley, spending a day with an instructor is a safe, informative way to get to know the trails.
- It’s a terrific family activity. Skiing as a family with a teacher, allows everyone to get some great tips while spending quality time together.
- Morning lessons get an early up at 8:30 a.m. If you like fresh corduroy, then this is for you.
- If your children take a lesson, they will most likely have the opportunity to ski all the terrain that thrills them but not you. And they will do it safely.
- If you ski with an instructor, you get to cut lift lines, a bonus during busy holiday weeks.
- Spouses really shouldn’t teach each other how to ski.
- Connecting with an instructor is often the starting point of a decades-long relationship. Many returning Sun Valley guests ski or board with the same teacher for years.
- Old bad habits can be corrected.
- All Sun Valley SnowSports instructors take lessons themselves. Teachers consistently participate in clinics throughout the year to work on their own technique and teaching methods. They are then ready to pass the latest information and tips onto their clients.
And here are some additional tips from our SnowSports instructors:
- Don’t wait until the last day of your stay to book a lesson. If you take a lesson on the first day of your vacation, you can practice and institute what you’ve learned for the rest of your trip.
- Believe your teacher when they tell you your appropriate level. They know Baldy and Dollar like the proverbial back of their hands and can accurately judge what level Sun Valley skier or boarder you are. This will ensure you get the most from your lesson.
Today, I rode the chair with Gail from the Seattle area, who had serendipitously just finished the first ski lesson of her adult life. An accomplished skier who is comfortable on all of Baldy’s terrain, Gail could not believe what a difference a few hours with an instructor had made to her technique. “Three other ladies from the Seattle area and I took a bump lesson,” she explained. “The teacher helped me see the run in a whole new way. I chose lines I never would have and had the confidence to go for it. It was a fabulous experience.” Even better, Gail flew in yesterday on Alaska Airlines. With her plane ticket receipt, she took advantage of the free two-hour lesson offered to Alaska passengers by the Sun Valley Company. “We are here a lot,” Gail said. “I can’t believe I never before followed up on the ski lesson, but I surely will from now on.”
The SnowSports team boasts great depth and breadth and supervisors are excellent at matchmaking instructors and clients. In order to do this most effectively, they suggest booking a lesson at least 24 hours ahead. Lessons go out of River Run, Warm Springs and Dollar.
The cadre of SnowSports instructors are not only consummate pros, they are also incredibly friendly and helpful. They want you to improve. They want you to have a breakthrough day. They love Sun Valley and want you to love it, too.